Thursday 30 October 2014

BRING BACK THE REAL SUPER EAGLES

  I was trying to explain the evolution of Nigerian football to my six year old boy yesterday when he asked me frankly what Nigeria had won in football and why he has never heard about any world class Nigerian footballer. I didn´t really know where to start, I tried to start from the very last big thing that Nigeria won, which was the nations cup in 2013, but I realized that even though we won that competition, there was really no world class player I could mention in that victorious squad whom I could be able to play his action video shots on youtube that will wow my little boy.

  I looked around the whole of the European leagues and I just couldn´t find any above average Nigerian player plying his trade in any first class European league, one that makes the headlines at least twice a month in big football magazines in Europe. It was then that I realized that our lack luster performance at the national team level in recent times is due mainly to the fact that our national team is packed full of mediocre players, some of who are not even regular players in their teams in Europe.

  But how did we get to this sad situation where in the last five years we do not have any world class player that can be rated among the top 50 best players in the world in their positions. How can I now convince my six years old son that there was a time when we had JayJay Okocha, George Finidi, Mutiu Adepoju, Kanu Nwankwo, Victor Ikpeba, Taribo West, Sunday Oliseh, Rashidi Yekini, Samson Siasia, Daniel Amokachi, Jonathan Akpoborie, Celestine Babayaro…. just to mention a handful, who were always making headlines with their weekly superlative performances in their various leagues all across Europe. Then you could bet with anyone and win that there will hardly be a week when a Nigerian is not mentioned in the course of football news across the globe.


  Today, our so called best are saddled only among the rest. There is no top Nigerian player anywhere in the world that deserves any special attention and that is responsible for our recent bad performances at the national team level.



  After fidgeting on youtube for several minutes and seeing nothing of notable football value that will hold my boy spellbound, I finally settled for the video of two of Nigeria´s best football talents in the last two decades, JayJay Okocha and Kanu Nwankwo, two of our most creative players, who in their time could decide a match with one very extraordinary play, and since yesterday my boy who always called himself Diego Costa while playing around with the ball, now tells me to call him Okocha.      

No comments:

Post a Comment